Show Notes for Season 1, Episode 8
Before you decide to spend a few pounds each year to own a domain name, here are some truly free alternatives if you don’t have, and don’t want, your own domain name:
- wix.com is a brilliant service, but I don’t see their free plan as a good choice for churches
- weebly.com (love that name!) is a great way to make a beautiful website quickly, and their free plan isn’t feature-rich but it covers most of the basics
- wordpress.com uses WordPress technology to power a managed service, and free users don’t feel like second class citizens: compared to most rivals, the free plan has a decent array of features, but if you use the free WordPress software on your own hosting package, there’s much more you can achieve without spending a penny
What if you do have (or plan to acquire) a domain name?
- Wix, Weebly and WordPress.com all require you to have a paid plan if you want to use your own domain name (though the entry level WordPress.com plan includes free domain name registration)
- For Church of England churches, you can have a free A Church Near You directory entry, and they plan to offer a free option to connect your own domain, however “it is a starting point not a complete solution” (from “Parish Websites” Diocese of London)
- Add a domain name to your free hosting package and you’re good to go with registering a domain name
And I mentioned a couple of low cost options, up to £50 per year, within the WordPress “universe”
- The entry level wordpress.com paid plan removes advertising, includes a domain name, and has a strong basic feature set
- (Disclosure: I’m connected!) ThisChurch.uk is a non-profit service built on WordPress technology that includes practical help getting your website up and running, and bundles in lots of premium extra features used by large churches
From this point on, I’m going to assume you’re “in”! We’re going to register a domain (or if you really, really can’t afford that, get in touch via the comments below and I’ll help organise a free subdomain for you) and press on with making our free website!